Tuesday, October 10, 2006

In Preparation for Halloween

What a fabulous date today.

You (my 4 year old daughter) is asleep and its 2:45am.
I just got up after falling asleep trying to put you to sleep as I always do. I just cannot keep my eyes open after reading two children's books and pretending to sleep for 15 minutes.

Today I did the stupidest thing. I went to work w/o realizing it was a holiday in Japan. Whatever holiday I don't know but I got on my suit on and everything and did not realize until I got to my works building... when there was nobody in the downstairs hallway... I realized it must be a holiday or something so I called my buddy and he said "Yeah, you didn't know that!?". BOY! did I feel like an idiot or what!

So, what to do? I emailed your mother to see if I could arrange a date with you.
I originally wanted to carve a pumpkin with you and your mother, the 3 of us but she wasn't interested so I got the OK to pick you up and we were at the Bicycle Training grounds at 12:30.

First we did a lap on with a rented bicycle w/training wheels.
You got tired a couple times but you enjoyed it.

You froze up when we put you on the bike w/o the training wheels (no pedals either so it is easier to kick and learn how to countersteer)

We then did some shopping at the flea market. Got you a couple of toys.

Had onigiri at Oni (http://www.ony.jp/shopinfo.htm). You had "Shake" (salmon) as usual.
I had "yaki tarako"

Then we went kite flying and came back home to carve a pumpkin.
I roughly followed this recipe (http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1827,146173-242207,00.html) but I used my own cajun/creole spice and boiled them rather than just soak them. I also used pumpkin seed oil rather than butter, etc.

ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS
After washing the pumpkin seeds, soak seeds for 1-2 hours in a mixture of 1 quart of water and 1/2 cup cajun salt. Be sure salt/spice has dissolved. Remove seeds from water mixture after soaking and dry. In a large skillet, sauté 2 cups pumpkin seeds, 2 tablespoons butter or 1 1/2 tablespoons pumpkin seed oil and 1 teaspoon salt.

Stir 3 minutes until seeds are well coated with butter.

Spread evenly on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes.

Take a few out to try at this point (watch out-they will be hot so let them cool a bit first!)

Some seeds are larger than others and will take longer to bake.

If necessary, continue to bake 15 minutes longer or until lightly browned.

Place on a paper towel to cool.


We also made pumpkin seeds and had pizza and pasta for dinner.

You did not want to go back home to your mothers house so I will take you to school tomorrow.

No comments: