Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Cecil Lawson - Daddy's No good cousin


-- or rather -- gettin' older and thus some status.

On a whim I searched my cousin's name and found him:
http://www.evergreentimes.com/111905/cecil.htm

http://www.smartvoter.org/2004/11/02/ca/scl/vote/lawson_c/bio.html
http://www.smartvoter.org/2004/11/02/ca/scl/vote/lawson_c/philosophy.html
http://www.smartvoter.org/2004/11/02/ca/scl/vote/lawson_c/endorse.html

This is the same good for nothing cousin that when I was a broke college student, stood me up all night in the ULTRA-dangerous San Jose Greydog (←hound) bus station.
I was so excited to meet my cousin, whom I had only met once or twice b4 to make a connection with the other part of the family that my mother had estranged me from.
I made an appointment and told him I would be there on a certain evening.
-- Although I did tell hem I would call him once more to re-confirm, but could not because of my busy student schedule, I did arrive on the promised day. It was late evening and I had only about 50 bucks as a starving UCSB student and called and called and called and called. I spent nearly $30 of that money on calling cards or something like that trying to get ahold of him.

To this day I have not seen or spoken with him yet but his aunt says that he did not know I was coming... he knew. And all he had to do was apologize.

Now he seems to have worked his way thru school. Nobody in his family, except his sister Leslie, had even went to college. They all went into the military. That is the only way they could afford an education. His father did not, His mother did not, and they were jealous of my mother who worked her way thru college by herself. As did I -- despite being stood-up by him.

I guess there is a certain amount of stature that we all get as we get older.
My good for nothing cousin seems to be doing well for himself these days. He is getting into politics and working as CIO for the San Jose Police department. My just as good for nothing Aunt (Daun-Rita), is constantly making excuses for him and has blinders on regarding him saying that he is the richest in the family.
Truth is -- its true. Well... maybe. He moved to San Jose way before there was even a word Silicon Valley. He quickly bought a house and the property value alone made him the richest...? But... the truth is since Bush Jr. popped the Silicon Valley bubble our Pasadena home is probably worth more than his Silicon Valley home.

But I, as does my mother, have much respect for his father who insisted on being independent and running his own biz as an African-American with very little support structure... He had a chicken biz in Columbus and many others and a carpet and drapery biz in south central LA run by my Aunt (aunt by marriage). I dont know to what extent there was racism as is quoted in his bio

"Cecil's father was tired of dealing with the discrimination that was prevalent in Ohio and most of the country throughout the early 20th century. So he took a step to move his wife and five children to Los Angeles, California. Cecil's father made that bold move in search of better opportunities and a better life for his family. From his father, Cecil learned that taking chances in order to make things better is a risk worth taking.


My mother did not mention much about aggressive racism in rural Ohio but I guess she did mention lots of negativity. I think his father moved out to L.A. more for opportunity than anything. My mother followed likewise. At the time I believe Cecil's father let my mother stay with them at the time.

Anyway, I wish Cecil the best in his life. I just hope that he someday realizes how devastating it was for me to be left stranded by your own cousin.

Point for my beautiful daughter is that there was much strife in your family, but nonetheless it is a family of achievers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I worked with him several years before that happened and know people who still do. I remember his first day on the job when he described his management style, "...I like to manage using the chaos theory...". Right then and there I knew we were screwed...I was right, unfortunately!!! I'm sorry he blew you off...not surprised though. Some people are all talk, and I just don't understand how they get as far as they do! From my experiences with him, you have it right and his sister doesn't have a clue! For him to say he didn't know you were coming is complete BS! Even if he didn't know for sure, "Mr Organized" could have called you himself to confirm the plan!!! I don't think he was successful at getting into politics either. Integrity is worth more than money. Best of luck to you!

Unknown said...

I worked with him several years before that happened and know people who still do. I remember his first day on the job when he described his management style, "...I like to manage using the chaos theory...". Right then and there I knew we were screwed...I was right, unfortunately!!! I'm sorry he blew you off...not surprised though. Some people are all talk, and I just don't understand how they get as far as they do! From my experiences with him, you have it right and his sister doesn't have a clue! For him to say he didn't know you were coming is complete BS! Even if he didn't know for sure, "Mr Organized" could have called you himself to confirm the plan!!! I don't think he was successful at getting into politics either. Integrity is worth more than money. Best of luck to you!